Fable slips to February 2027 as Microsoft gives the RPG more room away from GTA VI

news
Fable slips to February 2027 as Microsoft gives the RPG more room away from GTA VI

Microsoft has delayed Fable again, moving Playground Games’ long awaited RPG reboot from autumn 2026 to February 2027. The company says the decision is about giving the game its own clear launch window instead of forcing it into a crowded holiday season packed with major releases.

Fable was first announced in 2020, and fans have been waiting years to see Playground’s take on the classic Xbox fantasy series. After earlier delays, the game had been expected to arrive in autumn 2026. That is no longer the plan. Microsoft now wants Fable to avoid competing directly with some of the biggest games of the year, including Grand Theft Auto VI, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4, and Halo: Campaign Evolved.

The move makes sense from a business point of view. A major RPG like Fable needs attention, conversation, and space. Launching close to GTA VI could make that difficult, even for a first party Xbox game. Rockstar’s next open world game is likely to dominate sales charts, social media, streaming, and gaming coverage when it arrives. Microsoft clearly does not want Fable buried in that noise.

Microsoft says Fable is in good shape, but it wants the game to have its own moment

Xbox chief content officer Matt Booty said on the Xbox Podcast that Fable is coming together well and that both Microsoft and Playground Games feel good about the project. He also confirmed that the game will appear again during the Xbox Games Showcase on June 7, so fans will not have to wait until 2027 to see more of it.

Microsoft’s official explanation is that it is planning its launch calendar in a way that works better for players. In other words, Xbox still has major releases for 2026, but Fable is being moved so it does not have to fight for attention during one of the busiest release windows in years.

GameCurrent role in Xbox’s 2026 and 2027 lineup
FableDelayed to February 2027
Grand Theft Auto VIOne of the major 2026 releases Microsoft wants to avoid
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4Still coming in 2026
Halo: Campaign EvolvedAlso part of Xbox’s 2026 lineup
Gears of War: E DayGetting a deep dive after the June 7 showcase

For Fable fans, the delay is still frustrating. The reboot has already had a long road, and every new release shift makes the wait feel longer. But this delay sounds different from one caused by major development trouble. Microsoft is presenting it as a scheduling decision, not a rescue mission.

That does not mean there are no concerns. Fable has been in public view for six years, and expectations are high. Playground Games is best known for Forza Horizon, so this reboot is also a major test of the studio’s ability to handle a story driven fantasy RPG. The game needs to satisfy old Fable fans while also reaching players who may have never touched the original trilogy.

A February 2027 launch could help. It gives Fable cleaner space after the holiday rush and lets Xbox treat it as a major early year release. If the upcoming showcase appearance is strong, the delay may be easier for fans to accept.

For now, the message is clear. Fable is not cancelled, and Microsoft says it is progressing well. But Xbox wants the reboot to launch when players can actually focus on it, not when GTA VI and other giants are taking over the industry.

Discover: News

Discussion (0)

Be the first to comment.