Security for everyone - Review ESET Internet Security - Page 2
The firewall included in ESET Internet Security can automatically detect the network profile you assign in Windows, and that is excellent. We like the fact that the process is entirely automated, and ESET actively monitors if the network profile changes in Windows.
To evaluate the quality of the firewall module, we used two well-known network vulnerability scanners: Nmap and Nessus. We used both a private and a public network profile on our test computer, and neither Nmap nor Nessus managed to find any open ports, neither when the test PC was using a Public network profile, nor when the network was set to use Private. The only accurate information that the two vulnerability scanners managed to identify in both tests was the MAC address of the network card found on our test laptop, but that is not critical security information.
The firewall offered by ESET Internet Security is probably the best that we have ever tested.
Antivirus and antispyware protection
We verified how good ESET Internet Security is at protecting you while browsing the web. This security suite does not install any web browser extensions, choosing instead to filter the entire web traffic from your computer. That means that you should be protected in any web browser that you use. We used Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera, and tried to visit a series of phishing websites and some known to distribute malicious content. Fortunately, ESET Internet Security blocked our access to those dangerous websites each time we tried and in each web browser.
Next, we checked how ESET Internet Security reacts when it comes to removable drives like USB memory sticks: we took a USB memory stick filled with malware samples, and we plugged it into our test laptop. ESET asked us what we wanted to do: we chose to scan the memory stick. After a short while, it was cleaned of any malware, and that is a good result.
We installed Windows 10 on our test system and executed some hazardous malware on it, including ransomware. Next, we asked ESET Internet Security to install on our computer and clean the infection. It immediately began identifying the viruses that were roaming free on our computer and, after a full computer scan, the PC was usable again. That is an excellent result, one that can be achieved only by an excellent antivirus engine.
Another important feature when it comes to evaluating the performance of an antivirus engine is how fast it is when scanning for malware. Therefore, we measured the speed at which ESET Internet Security scanned our 237 GB SSD, with 128 GB of files on it. It took around ten minutes, which means roughly 13 GB of data scanned per minute. In our opinion, this is a fast antivirus engine.
Last but not least, we also took a look at what other independent security organizations had to say about ESET:
- AV-Test tested the previous version of ESET Internet Security version 11 (the one we tested is version 13) and gave it a verdict of 5.5 points out of 6 for protection, 4 points out of 6 for performance, and 5.5 points for usability.
- AV-Comparatives evaluated ESET in 2019. It received the following awards: Advanced for Malware Protection (September 2019), Standard for Real-World Protection (June 2019), and Advanced+ for Performance (April 2019).
- Virus Bulletin rated ESET Internet Security with their VB100 100 Virus verdict in October 2019 and measured a WildList detection of 100%, a false positive rate of 0%, and a Diversity test rate of 100%.
ESET Internet Security offers an excellent antivirus engine, that can protect you against any malware threat, both online and offline. We are pleased with its performance and efficiency, and we are confident that you're going to be too.
ESET Internet Security includes a few additional tools, some of which may be useful to you:
- Connected Home Monitor - displays a visual representation of your local network and the devices connected to it. It can also scan the local network for vulnerabilities by simulating attacks. It is a useful tool if you want to know what changes you have to make to secure your home network.
- Banking & Payment protection - it secures your financial transactions online. It works by opening a web browser window in a protected mode. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to make it open a specific web browser when you have more than one installed. It works with your default web browser, but only if that is Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer. If you use Microsoft Edge, Opera, or any other web browser as your default, ESET Internet Security uses Internet Explorer.
- Parental control - lets you block your children's access to inappropriate websites. If you do not want to control your children's activity in detail, but you want some essential protection against inappropriate websites, this tool can be what you need.
- Anti-theft - uses your ESET account to do things like track and locate your stolen devices or keep a watch on thieves using the webcam from your Windows computer or device.
- Running processes - gives you details about the processes running on your computer, including reputation information powered by ESET LiveGrid.
- ESET SysRescue Live - use it to create recovery media and clean computers that are so severely infected with malware that they can no longer boot correctly.
Unlike other security vendors, ESET Internet Security bundles tools that are useful and can add value to the product. The only thing missing here is a password manager and an encryption tool (however, both are available in ESET Smart Security Premium) and a VPN service to protect users while they are connected to public, unsecured WiFi networks.
Where To Buy
Default settings you might want to adjust
Although ESET Internet Security is well configured, there are a few things you might want to consider adjusting:
- Enable "Idle-state scanning," so that ESET automatically scans your computer when it is not doing anything else. You can find this option in "Setup -> Advanced setup -> Detection Engine -> Malware scans -> Idle-state scan -> Enable Idle-state scanning."
- Enable or disable some of the notifications or alert sounds issued. Maybe you want it to be more verbose, or you would prefer it to be more silent. Either way, you can change its behavior in "Setup -> Advanced setup -> User interface."
- Although ESET recommends scheduling a monthly computer antivirus scan, it is not configured by default to run it. To get better security, you should schedule such an antivirus scan. You can do it in "Tools -> More Tools -> Scheduler."
Although ESET Internet Security is a well-configured security suite in general, there are a few things that you might want to change.
What is your opinion about ESET Internet Security?
If you read our review, you know that we have a favorable opinion about ESET Internet Security. Before leaving and closing this article, we would love to read your opinion about this antivirus product. Comment below and let's discuss.