This week on Microsoft: OneDrive no longer works on FAT32 partitions

This week, OneDrive users have reported that OneDrive no longer works on non-NTFS storage devices. This is surprising news that wasn’t communicated by Microsoft. What Microsoft did announce though is that a major feature that was initially announced for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update won’t be delivered with this update but in the one after that. To see more, as well as other interesting news, read this week’s recap:

Microsoft: the news of the week

These articles are this week's most important news in Microsoft's ecosystem:

Microsoft Delays Major Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Feature - Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore revealed on Twitter that Timeline, a feature which allows Windows, Android, and iOS users to pick up from where they left off on different devices and to resume an activity from an earlier snapshot, would only be included in preview builds after the company ships the Fall Creators Update. This means that insiders would get it when Microsoft starts work for the next Windows 10 update coming after Fall Creators Update this fall.

Microsoft’s OneDrive drops support for technology from the 1970s - OneDrive no longer allows users to set up their OneDrive in a non-NTFS storage location during the initial setup with the latest update. When trying to setup OneDrive on a non-NTFS location, the app warns users.

Microsoft’s 2017 ‘back to school’ sale is way worse than last year’s - It’s July, which means that school will be back before you know it, and Microsoft is the first to kick off back to school discount season with its 2017 offerings. While there are certainly some nice deals on stuff like the Surface Pro 4, none of them really hold a candle to last year’s offer of a free Xbox One.

Windows 10 user base on Steam climbs to all-time high of 51.23% - According to Steam's hardware report for the month of June 2017, the 64-bit version of Windows 10 is being utilized by 50.33% of users, while 0.90% are running the 32-bit iteration. Together, this accounts for a total of 51.23% of surveyed users.

Revealed: Microsoft's Xbox One X benchmarks - If you want to know how "the most powerful console ever" improves raw performance on games originally designed for the base Xbox One system, read this report.

Play PS4 on PC? Sony's Netflix-for-games makes it a reality - Sony may not want to let you play with your Xbox and Nintendo Switch-wielding friends, but it doesn't have quite the same grudge against the PC. The company is bringing PlayStation 4 games to its PlayStation Now cloud gaming service. You'll be able to stream them to any PlayStation 4 console or Windows computer without ever popping in a disc or even needing to download a game.

Cancelled Nokia Mercury tablet was better than cancelled Surface Mini (photos) - Another cancelled Windows tablet popped up, this time the Nokia Mercury. It is one of four devices cancelled when Microsoft took over Nokia’s handset division in 2014, which included tablets, phones and smartwatches. The device had a front-facing camera, prominent rear-facing camera and what looked like a SIM slot, so it may have been LTE enabled.

Microsoft’s Bing Search app gets all-new look and features with today’s massive update - Microsoft has released a new update to its Bing Search app on Android adding a bunch of new features.

Microsoft releases the July update of OneNote for Windows 10 - here's what's new - Microsoft released the July update of OneNote for Windows 10, adding a few new interesting new features like customizable pens and Immersive Reader.

Microsoft plans thousands of job cuts in a sales staff overhaul to fuel cloud growth - Microsoft announced a major reorganization on Wednesday that will include thousands of layoffs, largely in sales. The job cuts amount to less than 10 percent of the company's total sales force, and about 75 percent of them will be outside the U.S., the company said.

Digital Citizen: The best articles of the month

We would like to end with the most popular articles that were published on Digital Citizen, in June 2017:

4 ways to delete mapped network drives in Windows - Deleting mapped network drives can be a pain in Windows. This tutorial helps with this issue by providing several solutions.

Microsoft ships the new Surface Pro. 11 things you need to know! - In June, Microsoft released the Surface Pro in stores worldwide. If you want to learn what’s new about the latest model, read this article.

7 ways in which the 2017 version of the Nokia 3310 betrays its predecessor from 2000 - The new Nokia 3310 is mostly a marketing stunt and not a very good mobile phone. Here are our arguments for this statement.