We are very proud to have published our first book: Network Your Computers & Devices Step by Step. Our publisher is the prestigious Microsoft Press and the book is distributed by O’Reilly Media. If you would like to know how to purchase the book, what you get with your purchase and what others had to say about it, read on to find out.
Where To Find The Book (Print & Digital)
The book can be purchased from many locations:
- Amazon US - the price varies between 18$ and 20$ for the print version, depending on Amazon’s discount policy at the time of purchase. For the eBook, they charge somewhere between 17$ and 19$.
- Amazon UK - the price varies between £11 and £14 for the print version. The digital version’s price varies between £10 and £12.
- Amazon Canada - the price varies between 19 and 22 Canadian dollars for the print version. There is no digital version available.
- Amazon Germany - the print version costs somewhere between 22 and 24 Euro. The digital version is between 13 and 15 Euro.
- Barnes & Noble - the print version costs between 21$ and 24$, while the digital version between 14$ and 16$.
What You Can Find In The Book
The book is for people who want to learn Windows 7 and also build and manage their own small home network. It focuses on Windows 7 and covers all the networking related features this operating system has to offer. Also, the book extensively covers network interoperability between Windows 7 and all other major operating systems: Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Ubuntu Linux v10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). If you've got a network with diverse computers and operating systems, this book can truly help you make them all work well together.
NOTE: Even though we created the procedures and screenshots on Ubuntu v10.10, all the instructions apply also to the newest version - 11.10.
In approximately 560 pages, you get extensive coverage on the following topics:
- Chapter 1: Setting Up a Router and Devices
- Chapter 2: Setting User Accounts on All Computers
- Chapter 3: Setting Up Your Libraries on All Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 4: Creating the Network
- Chapter 5: Customizing Network Sharing Settings in Windows 7
- Chapter 6: Creating the Homegroup and Joining Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 7: Sharing Libraries and Folders
- Chapter 8: Sharing and Working with Devices
- Chapter 9: Streaming Media Over the Network and the Internet
- Chapter 10: Sharing Between Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows
- Chapter 11: Sharing Between Mac OS X and Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 12: Sharing Between Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 Computers
- Chapter 13: Keeping the Network Secure
- Chapter 14: Setting Up Parental Controls
- Chapter 15: Troubleshooting Network and Internet Problems
The book covers all these topics in a Step by Step manner, with complete screenshots and steps to guide you. We've spent a year working on it and, if you believe the tutorials on our website are complete, you should read the book. We've taken things to an entirely new level. It really is the most complete collection of tutorials we've ever written.
What Others Said About the Book
If you don’t trust us when we say it is a great book, worth purchasing, then here are some of reviews we received from readers:
- Reader jurgarden - "In general, this is one well-written book (actually, better than the usual SBS line standard)! It manages to convey information in a penetrable manner which should appeal to laymen without becoming too simplistic, thereby irritating more advanced users. In this sense, the latter will have to skip at least a couple of chapters (those detailing the creation of libraries and the way folders can be shared, for sure), but I think everyone can find topics of interest." - read full review here.
- Reader Deoren - "Expecting the book would be too basic for a SysAdmin, I still learned some new things. It was surprising that a book with five authors stayed both cohesive and focused." - read full review here.
- Reader Thomas K. Eckle - "This book is well written and documented, serving well as compendium of useful networking concepts and instructions, clearly illustrated and explained... In summary this book challenges the novice, may enlighten the proficient, and may even have some gems for the expert. I recommend this book to those who are looking to take the next step in the world of networking and have the will to learn." - read full review here.
If you still want another opinion, check the review written by our team mate - Marte Brengle: Reviewing Network Your Computers & Devices, Step By Step. She has not been involved in the writing and publishing of this book and she brought a fresh perspective in her review.