To help you type faster and better, Windows Phone 8.1 has two features that are activated each time you write a message: autocorrect and text suggestions. Some users think autocorrect does more harm than good, especially if you type in languages other than English. If you would like to disable it, this tutorial will show you how. Also, we will present other typing related settings and features and advise you on whether you should disable them or not.
How To Disable Text AutoCorrect In Windows Phone 8.1
First, you need to access your smartphone's Settings. Go to the App List, scroll down and tap Settings.
Now, look for the Keyboard option and tap on it. This shortcut is normally found somewhere in the middle of the list.
A new screen is displayed, with all the keyboards installed on your Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone.
Tap the keyboard for which you want to disable the autocorrect feature. A screen is displayed, listing several keyboard related settings.
To disable the autocorrect feature, uncheck the Correct misspelt words box.
Unfortunately, Windows Phone 8.1 doesn't have a general on/off switch for enabling or disabling the auto-correction for all the keyboards that are installed. You have to disable this feature for each keyboard installed, using the procedure above.
How To Disable Text Suggestions In Windows Phone 8.1
When you type something, Windows Phone 8.1 displays a list with suggestions for the word you are currently typing. If you quickly find a match, tap the appropriate suggestion and the word is written without typing all its letters.
This feature can become quite useful, because it can help you type faster. However, some users don't like this feature and may want to disable it.
To stop Windows Phone from suggesting text, uncheck the "Suggest text" box. This feature will be disabled only for the language you have selected.
Disabling text suggestions will also disable the auto-correction feature that we mentioned earlier.
Other Text Related Settings In Windows Phone 8.1
On the keyboard settings screen you will find several other options, that affect how productive you are when typing. Depending on the keyboard you selected, you should see all or some of the following options:
- "Highlight misspelled words" - the words you misspell are marked by a red underline.
- "Suggest emoticons" - if the words you typed match an emoticon, it will appear in the suggestions area.
- "Insert a space after selecting a suggestion" - when you tap a suggested word, Windows Phone automatically inserts a blank space.
- "Insert a full-stop after double-tapping the Spacebar" - if you double-tap the spacebar, you'll place a period after the last word, ending the sentence.
- "Capitalise the first letter of a sentence"- this option is self-explanatory.
- "Type as I flick through letters" - glide your finger over the letters on the keyboard to shape words.
While the text suggestions feature does no harm if it's enabled and can become really useful, the autocorrect feature can be quite frustrating if it's not disabled. However, some users may find both features useful, while others may want to disable both of them. If you have any questions or problems using these features share them with us in the comments below.