Windows 10 is due to be officially released on July 29 and, as Microsoft promised, the present owners of a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, can upgrade for free. Immediately after Microsoft announced the release date of Windows 10, eligible users started to receive a notification telling them to reserve their copy. However, many questions about this procedure appeared on the Internet, so we thought it would be good idea to show you what this reservation process is and how it works. Let's get started:
What Do You Need In Order To Be Able To Reserve A Free Windows 10 Upgrade?
First of all, there are a few requirements you need to meet in order to be able to reserve and ultimately use Windows 10 on your device:
- Your device must be running the latest version of Windows with the latest updates. That means you either run Windows 7 Service Pack 1, or Windows 8.1. If you don't know what version of Windows you're using, this article will help you: How to Determine What Version of Windows You Have Installed.
- In order to be able to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10, you need to have this Windows update installed: KB3035583. If you don't know how to check for updates, read this guide: Check for Windows Updates, Learn What They Do & Block Those You Don't Need.
How To Reserve Your Windows 10 Free Upgrade
If the two requirements we mentioned before are met, your device will have installed an app called "Get Windows 10". You can find it by looking at the system tray, on your Desktop. You should see an icon with the Windows 10 logo.
To start the reservation process, click or tap on this icon. Once you do that, the Get Windows 10 app is launched. The app will present you 6 slides with various information about Windows 10. However, only the first slide is sharing information about how the upgrade works:
- Reserve: Reserve your FREE upgrade to Windows 10 now. It will download once available, and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
- Install: You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device. Install it right away or pick a time that's good for you.
- Enjoy: After it's installed, Windows 10 is all yours!
Every slide of the Get Windows 10 app, also includes a button called "Reserve your free upgrade". In order to reserve your Windows 10 copy, click or tap this button.
Once you have clicked or tapped the button, the app reserves your free upgrade to Windows 10. Additionally, it also lets you register your email address in order to get confirmation of your Windows 10 upgrade reservation and, only if you want, to receive other news or offers from Microsoft.
If you don't want to enter your email address, you can skip this step without worries: your upgrade is still reserved.
Once the confirmation was sent (or skipped), the Get Windows 10 app will tell you that you are "All done for now". And that is true… at least until July 29th, when this app will let you know that your Windows 10 is ready.